Got new, unknown, untested file from a friend/colleague ? The file is so important that you must use it with your computer having very very important data ? You can test it with your anti-virus and another by your friend's PC. But no anti-virus is 100% correct. Only 95% accurate.
Now test the file with Top 32 anti-viruses for FREE !!
VirusTotal is a service that analyzes suspicious files and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines.
- Free, independent service.
- Use of multiple antivirus engines.
- Real-time automatic updates of virus signatures.
- Detailed results from each antivirus engine.
- Real time global statistics
|Received Files / Infected Files
(Last 24 Hours)
|Failures in Detection
(Last 24 Hours)
|This image shows the number of files that have been detected as infected (Red) among the total number of files received within the last 24 hours (clean ones marked in Blue).||
Red: Infected files which one or more antivirus engines failed to detect as a threat.
This is a list of the companies that participate in VirusTotal with their antivirus engines.
- AhnLab (V3)
- Aladdin (eSafe)
- ALWIL (Avast! Antivirus)
- Authentium (Command Antivirus)
- AVG Technologies (AVG)
- Avira (AntiVir)
- Bit9 (FileAdvisor)
- Cat Computer Services (Quick Heal)
- ClamAV (ClamAV)
- CA Inc. (Vet)
- Doctor Web, Ltd. (DrWeb)
- Eset Software (ESET NOD32)
- ewido networks (ewido anti-malware)
- Fortinet (Fortinet)
- FRISK Software (F-Prot)
- F-Secure (F-Secure)
- G DATA Software (GData)
- Hacksoft (The Hacker)
- Hauri (ViRobot)
- Ikarus Software (Ikarus)
- K7 Computing (K7AntiVirus)
- Kaspersky Lab (AVP)
- McAfee (VirusScan)
- Microsoft (Malware Protection)
- Norman (Norman Antivirus)
- Panda Security (Panda Platinum)
- PC Tools (PCTools)
- Prevx (Prevx1)
- Rising Antivirus (Rising)
- Secure Computing (Webwasher)
- BitDefender GmbH. (BitDefender)
- Sophos (SAV)
- Sunbelt Software (Antivirus)
- Symantec (Norton Antivirus)
- VirusBlokAda (VBA32)
- Trend Micro (TrendMicro)
There are several ways user can scan a suspicious file.
- Directly upload the file(s) through their web-form.
- Install a small Client Software for Windows that enables you to directly send files from your system using the context menu.
Through it scans your file with multiple antivirus scanners, but still its not that slow. This is due to its intelligent scanning signature system. If a file is scanned for the 1st time by VirusTotal, its stores the report (success/failure) in its database along with its signature (MD5) value and creates a certificate. if the same file is requested to be scanned by you or by others it instantly generates the report.